There are many issues that affect the families in California’s 42nd Congressional District. Unfortunately, our current Representative, 23½ year incumbent Congressman Ken Calvert, has failed to address these issues in a meaningful manner. I’m running because we can do better – I believe we can do better by putting people first instead of focusing on the enduring power of bad ideas and gridlock that deny a common sense, bipartisan approach to solving the quality of life problems that we all face on a daily basis. To change Washington, however, we need to send someone new to Washington. I’m new!
Here are my top priorities:
- I will focus on protecting Social Security. If you’re a Social Security recipient, you did not receive a cost-of-living increase this year because Congress has continued to mandate the use of an outdated Consumer Price Index (CPI). I will work to change the index to one that will result in a consistent and fairer cost-of-living increase each year.
- I will fight to increase pay for our military personnel and to ensure that the Department of Veterans Affairs is fully funded. We have a responsibility to our veterans and I will make veterans issues and their individual needs a priority in my office.
- I will introduce legislation to reduce student loan interest rates and promote more reasonable repayment terms — both for current and future borrowers. When students leave college, they should not be saddled with unreasonable payments because of excessively high interest rates on student loans.
- I will actively engage with individuals, small businesses and corporations and will initiate measures to bring good-paying jobs to our community, including jobs related to clean energy, those necessary to complete infrastructure repairs and to resolve traffic issues.
- I pledge that when I’m not in Washington, I will be at home in the District to meet and listen to my fellow citizens. I will attend community events and maintain regularly scheduled office hours.
Please see below a more comprehensive discussion of the issues important to the people of California’s 42nd Congressional District in the 2016 election:
Jobs and the Economy
Everyone I talk with in this campaign believes that hard work, fair play and personal responsibility are important. But in the past few decades, greed on Wall Street and government decisions have favored those at the top while it’s made it harder and harder for families and small businesses to get ahead.
At a time when the “baby boomers” are aging, and when younger, working Americans wonder how they will secure their retirement incomes, Social Security, Medicare, and institutions that protect seniors are of great concern to me. Democrats in Congress—most notably Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders—are fighting vigorously to protect Social Security and Medicare, while Republicans have consistently worked to derail the system by claiming it is broken or heading toward insolvency. The ostensible goal of these efforts is to privatize Social Security, thereby forcing Americans to invest in private financial market ventures. While such a program would create a highly lucrative profit center for Wall Street, it would also cause an unstable future for working Americans. Privatization is not the answer.
Climate change is one of the most important issues facing the world today. Given our position, the United States must be the world’s leader in taking action to combat climate change. Unlike some in Congress, I believe what the climate scientists are telling us about what is happening to the earth. When I’m in Congress, I will be a leading voice in supporting legislation that will stop and begin to reverse the effects of climate change.
It has become increasingly apparent that a vocal minority in Congress is targeting women’s rights (including reproductive sovereignty, access to affordable healthcare services, and wage equality), in an attempt to dismantle hard-won protections. I am committed to opposing this minority by affirming and protecting the rights guaranteed by the Constitution and ratified by the Supreme Court.
Military Personnel, Veterans and their families
As an American and as a candidate for Congress, I think every day about the tremendous commitment of courage and sacrifice that so many of our brave young men and women make, and have made, to our great country since 9/11. I honor their commitment. To that end, I’m committed to increasing pay and benefits for our military personnel who are currently serving and their families.
Gun Safety, Rights & The Second Amendment
At the foot of our Statute of Liberty is a bronze tablet with a poem by Emma Lazarus which in part says:
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
These words have greeted immigrants coming into New York harbor with the hope of attaining the American Dream harbor for decades. It represents the spirit and unselfish desire of shared liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It is what makes our country great!
Medical and Scientific Research Funding
In addition to what I have outlined above, I will:
• Support full restoration of the Voting Rights Act to guarantee voting rights to all Americans;
• Support appropriate regulation of banking and other financial services industries, including reauthorizing the Glass-Steagall Act;